Saturday, April 19, 2008

Speak with Respect

The photo shows I stood in front of CNN's Hollywood office on Saturday Apr. 19, 2008. Many people (some estimated 2000~5000) gathered, among which there are Taiwaneses waving flags of China Republic and people from San Diego and Arizona. We, waving Chinese flags and singing Chinese songs, shouted again and again "CNN Liar" and "Cafferty Fire". I saw some Mexicans and black people saluting our demonstration. For the first time, I felt the strong sense of being a Chinese. Though it was not as exciting as I expected, it was worth memorizing.

Here I would like to state two points: 1) why I am angry at CNN and Jack Cafferty; and 2) my thoughts about speech freedom and press freedom.

The first point is straightforward. CNN reported Tibet incident inaccurately. For example it used a picture from Nepal to report what happed in China. Jack Cafferty commented on April 9 on CNN’s political programme, that "I think they're basically the same bunch of goons and thugs they've been for the last 50 years." Though CNN later made a statement saying Cafferty's comments aimed at Chinese government and CNN apologized to those who understood otherwise. But this explanation hardly stands if you listened to Cafferty's comments yourself. I guess Jack Cafferty actually aimed directly at those Chinese people protecting Olympic torch in San Francisco. The number of Chinese people involved in that activity and the passion they showed was astonishing. Besides, Jack Cafferty is jealous with favorable balance of China-US trade. So he attacked the whole Chinese people indeed. Therefore, our demand that Jack Cafferty himself apologize publicly and resign is justifiable.

As for the second point, I admit that we take advantage of the right of free speech and free demonstration in America, which we cannot have in mainland China now. Similar demonstration against CCTV or People's Daily is highly probably prohibited in the name of "harmony" there. In the long run, we Chinese should advance towards the right of free speech and free demonstration. However, the way and the pace they fight for that right should be decided by Chinese people, not by foreign medias. Anyway China is a complicated society with big historical burden, we can only gain the political rights and learn the political skills to use our political rights gradually if we don't want to see blood; certainly we don't. America's model of free speech and free demonstration, though not perfect (see how Jack Cafferty abuses his rights), may be an example for us. At least, I believe those who stood in front of CNN office today will appreciate the value of free speech and free demonstration.

I just noticed that CNN itself reported this event (see http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/19/cnn.china/index.html). At this point, I appreciate CNN's courage and frankness, though it may also be a tactic to restore their public image.
[updated Apr. 20, 2008]



I am going to attend the demonstration protesting CNN's inaccurate report on Tibetan incident and Jack Cafferty 's insulting remark against Chinese people. The above is my banner. I just made it myself with whiteboard and pen. It's simple but I hope it conveys my meaning:"If you value freedom of speech, then SPEAK WITH RESPECT".

I love the following quote
The fact that you can possess a gun doesn't mean you can shoot anyone in the campus. Similarly, the fact that you have freedom of speech does not equal to you can insult others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dear ws, i'm proud of u, all u did, especially ur banner, and ur thoughts on f-s and f-d. lj